Thank you for visiting the Strategic Language Institute (SLI) website. Your privacy is very important to us. Simply stated, we do not collect personal information about you when you visit the SLI website unless you choose to make such information available to us.
When you visit the SLI site, the University’s web server automatically recognizes only the internet domain and IP address from which you accessed the site. This information does not result in the identification of your personal email address or other personal information.
In addition, information is only gathered regarding the volume and timing of access to the site by collecting information on the date, time and pages you visited while at the site. This is done so that the content of the site can be improved, and your personal information is not identified or shared with other organizations.
If you choose to share personal information with us, such as by subscribing to an e-newsletter, sending a message, or filling out an electronic form with personal information, the information will be saved for a designated period of time in order to comply with the state of Florida’s archiving policies. However, information will not be disclosed to third parties or other government agencies, unless required by state or federal law. Please note that Florida’s public records law requires that all information received in connection with state business be made available to anyone upon request, unless the information is subject to a specific statutory exemption. If you do not want your email address disclosed as a public record, please contact the University via telephone or by U.S. mail.
Payment and Refund Policy
The $800 Course Fee which includes the $100 Registration Fee must be paid in full on or before the first day of classes.
Payments are accepted by either: Credit or Check Card; Cashier’s Check; or Money Order (No Cash or Personal Checks will be accepted).
The $100 Registration Fee is nonrefundable; this fee is included in the total cost of the course. A refund for the remainder of the course fee may be issued under the following circumstances:
1. You must submit a request in writing to officially cancel your course fee on or before five (5) calendar days from the date of the commencement of the class, and
2. SLI must receive your written request for refund of the course fee on or before five (5) calendar days from the date of the commencement of the course.
3. You must submit written cancellation and refund requests by U.S. Mail (postmarked within the 5-day period) or by email to the SLI Registrar at:
Strategic Language Institute
School of International and Public Affairs
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, SIPA 511
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199
4. Failure to submit the cancellation or refund request in a timely manner waives any claims you may have for a refund of the course fee.
If the request for refund is approved by SLI, the refund will be for the course fee, minus the $100 registration fee. No refund will be made for a course that is cancelled after the 5th calendar day following the start of the class. If the course does not start because there are not enough students, or it is canceled by SLI for any reason, the student will be refunded the full amount paid; the registration fee is only held if cancellation is initiated by the student.
5. Military service members who are required to interrupt a class due to deployment or unscheduled training, with appropriate documentation, will be given credit to join the next available equivalent class (same language/same level) either from the beginning or at the point they left off, at no extra cost. This accommodation is granted so U.S service members may eventually complete the language class they began, despite being called into duty.
6. SLI will make every effort to assure that classes are not cancelled. However, any individual classes that are cancelled due to unforeseen emergencies or inclement weather that is beyond the control of SLI will not be rescheduled, nor will any fees be refunded.